Monday, October 1, 2012

Grandpa Identity

I like to write although I would not say I am a writer.  I've had a few small pieces published now and then but nothing major.  A few years ago I did try my hand at writing a book about identity.  I've always been fascinated with the way we view ourselves based on what we do in life. 

I am living into a new identity as a grandpa.  Isabella is a 9 month old beautiful little girl whose smile brings joy to my heart.  I was given this new identity.  I did not do anything.  It comes to me as a gift of relationship. 

But it is my choice how I will nurture and develop as a grandpa to Isabella.  I choose whether or not to pray for her, to spend time with her, to get to know her, to build trust, and to love her.  If you peel away the top layer of choice you will find desire.  Ultimately it is about desire, what we truly want from God, from life.  It is why Jesus asked people, "What do you want me to do for you?"

And so it is with our relationship with God. It is about choice, about what we want from God this day, this moment.  Feeding that choice is our desire.  Here is an excerpt from my unfinished book.

As Christians we are asked to be like Christ, to be formed in the image of God.  We are being asked to assume a new identity.  If people do not have much experience taking on a new identity that is their choice, then they will likely have difficulty taking on a Christian identity that is fully their choice.  What many end up doing is to copy someone else’s version of Christian identity without making it their own.

This brings us to the premise of this book.  How much experience have I had in forming my own identity?  I suggest that the more experience, the more freedom we experience in this kind of venture, the more fully and deeply we will be empowered to assume an identity as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

May God empower us to gently brush aside all that is keeping us from being in touch with our desire for Love.  For when we see Love as it is our choices to live in this Love will shape our identity as children of God and disciples of Jesus.

Thank you God, for the gift of being Isabella's grandpa.  I look forward to exploring and enjoying this new identity!

Grace Always,
Dave

No comments: