Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Emotional Preparedness

Have you given thought to how you would respond to a crisis in your life?  I am thinking about an event that might upset your inner peace that comes with knowing Christ as Lord and Savior.  This past weekend something happened to me.

I was with my Aaron, my son-in-law, and his father riding mini bikes on a trail near Willow.  I had strapped a new can of pepper spray to the bike.  Suddenly, there was an explosion in my face with immediate burning in my eyes, nose, and mouth.  I find it interesting the very first thoughts that enter peoples' minds when something like this happens.  My first thought was that maybe someone had planted an IED on the trail!  Ridiculous, I know.  Then with the burning eyes I realized it was the pepper spray.  I dropped the bike and blindly stumbled around trying to figure out what to do.  Earl was the first to arrive and said I was acting as if drunk.  I tried to talk to explain what had happened but the chemical was restricting my mouth.  I stumbled to a river and practically jumped in seeking relief from the searing pain.

I was able to get some sight out of one eye to ride back to our cabin where I got some first aid.  Eventually I recovered and have no side effects, although I may use it to explain any future memory lapses!

It was a test, a small one, for me.  I can say that my inner peace was not touched during this episode.  There was no panic or deep fear to that place in my life I have given to God.  I may not have similar results when the stakes are much greater than chemicals splashed in my face.  I do not know if one can fully prepare emotionally or spiritually for future crises.  But I do want to thank God that the peace that passes all understanding was present in my life even when presented with a small test.

Grace Always,
Dave

No comments: