Monday, January 17, 2011

Ketchikan and Sitka

 After the constant rain in Juneau it was a wonderful surprise to see Ketchikan and Sitka bathed in winter sunlight.  Pastors Teri and Ev Erbele drove me around to see more of this island's beauty and history.  I felt badly that the church had to have their charge conference on a Saturday morning.  This church is forging a new identity from that of helping with the city's blueberry festival to that of the church providing a day shelter for people without homes.  They are also reaching out to the residents of a nearby tenement house.  Lots to celebrate at First UMC! 
This is a clip of our visit to the dock area.


Sitka is a short flight north from Ketchikan.  Rev. Oconer and family were permitted to visit their home in the Philippines at the last minute so I stayed in the empty parsonage.  Sitka was the last of the churches for me to be in worship.  I told the congregation that morning that if they could pretend just for the morning that I was their pastor that it would make me feel good.  So I got to preach about Jesus' baptism.  This church is a vital part of the community and is one of the few churches without a financial struggle.  The clip is of Julia Smith's (Conference UMW President) granddaughter, Zia, dancing during choir rehearsal.


I always enjoy my travels to southeast Alaska.  Did I mention to you all that all five of our southeast churches gave 100% of their apportionments in 2010?  They understand how important it is to keep our connection strong. 

The last three are Jewel Lake, First, Anchorage, and Turnagain.

Grace and peace,
Dave

No comments: