Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Real Alaskan United Methodist Story


Yesterday I met a legend of a man. His name is Jim Hitchcock, a seasoned builder of log buildings. Shane Inch called me to see if I could give Jim a hand at Birchwood Camp. Steve Sweezey, camp manager, and Charley Brower, our AUMC Native MInistry Committee chairperson, and I spent a gorgeous afternoon working with Jim. Our task was to help Jim build a log cross on the inside of the new building that would give support for the wall.

Jim has been building log buildings for 50 years in Alaska. He mills his own logs and has tons of experience and wisdom. It was a joy to just watch him work and talk. Jim has built most of the log buildings at Birchwood Camp.

Between whaling stories from Charley, wilderness first aid stories from Steve, and log stories from Jim I counted that opportunity to get out of the office a joy.

Grace and peace,
Dave

No comments: