Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kenai Peninsula Churches

Soldotna
It was a joy to be back at my old church. It's been over ten years and I tried to be sensitive to those who have come to SUMC after I left, but it was hard not to take rabbit trails down memory lane! As with most of our churches I conducted a training for SPRC. Here is a picture of Richard Whetsell making his pastor's report.


Seward/Moose Pass
Pastor Peter had us playing a charge conference jeopardy game which was a blast!



Kenai
We had to postpone Kenai's conference due to weather until Saturday afternoon. Pastor Marti Slater is in her second year and tells me the Kenai church is the most welcoming church she has ever experienced! Way to go, Kenai!

Homer
Charles and Karen Martindell and I have been friends for over 25 years. They were appointed to the church I left to come to Soldotna in 1991. It was great to see their nearly finished building with sun room, fellowship, kitchen, and expanded sanctuary. Here is Charles in the new kitchen.
Charles gave me a part of their skit in worship which highlighted the ministries of the church. Here is Charles hamming it up.

Ninilchik
I am sorry to not spend more time with the saints at St. Peter the Fisherman. But my time there was rich. My first Alaska VIM trip was to Ninilchik in 1986 where we stayed with pioneers, Floyd and Marian Blossom. Pastor Julie Wasser is one of our two local pastors and works one quarter time providing full ministries for 35 people on Sunday mornings.

Northstar
I was impressed with the large turnout for this church on the north road in Nikiski. The area has been hit with the departure of oil and gas industry. I do believe however that Northstar has the largest youth ministry on the Kenai. There were four teens attending the charge conference!

I put 750 miles on my truck in 5 days. It was a rich experience and I can tell you that God is at work in wonderful ways on the Kenai Peninsula!

Grace and peace,
Dave

No comments: