Thursday, April 24, 2008

General Conference in Ft. Worth

Opening worship for the 2008 General Conference was unbelievably powerful for me. Usually it is hard for preachers who lead worship to worship themselves. I found myself weeping throughout this two-hour worship service. The mass choir, dancers, visual images, procession of the bishops, and holy communion helped to move my spirit into the holy presence of God. With over 6500 worshipping United Methodists from all over the world I was given a glimpse of what heaven must be like when God's people come together to experience God.

The communion table, altar table, and pulpit were crafted from buildings destroyed by hurricane Katrina. These were powerful symbols that God can and will redeem suffering. From death comes resurrection.

Thank you for your prayers. Keep them coming.

No comments: